Los Angeles Police Department takes critical step in safety innovation with FirstNet
New communications technologies expand officers’ capabilities to better serve Los Angeles
The Los Angeles Police Department is expanding its use of FirstNet® – the only network built with and for America’s first responders and the extended public safety community. With FirstNet, LAPD is equipping officers with new tools, expanded capabilities and reliable access to critical information while in the field. This will allow the department to better serve those who live, work and visit Los Angeles.
FirstNet, Built with AT&T is designed to improve interoperable communications across public safety entities nationwide. It allows first responders to communicate with one another easily and quickly during everyday situations, big events or emergencies. This is integral to solving the communications challenges public safety has experienced in the past.
The LAPD chose FirstNet during the pandemic to help modernize the department’s communications technology. And it is now further investing in officer and community safety. LAPD is issuing updated FirstNet-enabled, iPhone 13 Pro Max Devices to each officer. This will help the department better coordinate communications and create more opportunities for technological innovation.
The department also will outfit its patrol vehicles with Cradlepoint routers to give officers in the field the network connectivity they need. This will give the department a path to 5G and further technological innovation in the field.
“Our officers’ main job will always be to service our community,” said Michel Moore, Chief of Police, LAPD. “With FirstNet, we are taking the next step in fulfilling our vision of the future of policework. Taking advantage of the elegantly designed apps and reliable and secure connection, officers will be able to do their work on their phones or in the cars, instead of at the station, allowing more time to help those in the community and creating a safer environment.”
In addition, LAPD officers will be equipped with Intrepid Network's Response for FirstNet® platform. The Response platform is a FirstNet Certified™ simple-to-use web and mobile situational awareness platform that enables teams to effectively communicate, collaborate, and coordinate and make more informed decisions based on near real-time information.
Response for FirstNet also integrates Incident Command System (ICS) reporting into its platform. The integration of ICS allows officers to streamline the ICS form-filling process by combining mobile and cloud-based custom automation to fill out every ICS report needed in just a few clicks.
“The Response for FirstNet platform greatly reduces radio traffic, decreases response times, enhances situational awareness, and increases officer safety,” said Britt Kane, CEO of Intrepid Networks. “We are pleased to support the entire LAPD agency with our mobile situational awareness solution.”
LAPD joined FirstNet to provide first responders unthrottled access to an entire public safety ecosystem of mission-ready tools and capabilities, including:
- The only nationwide communications platform that allows us to coordinate emergency responses efficiently and effectively across agencies and jurisdictions.
- Always-on priority and preemption to give us reliable access to the connections we need – and protecting us from network congestion.
- A separate, dedicated and highly secure network core purpose-built for public safety’s sensitive communications.
- Innovative tools – like public safety-centric applications, mission-critical solutions and connected devices – to give us more actionable information for heightened situational awareness.
- A dedicated fleet of 150+ deployable network assets. Public safety agencies can request these assets for additional connectivity at no extra charge during remote situations, planned events or urgent crises. This is unique benefit to the industry.
- Access to holistic public safety health and wellness tools and resources, like ROG the Dog, that go beyond network connectivity – all powered by the FirstNet Health & Wellness Coalition, which represents more than 5.1 million first responders.
“We’re honored that LAPD chose FirstNet to elevate its communications capabilities,” said Rhonda Johnson, President, AT&T-California. “It’s our mission to give first responders the cutting-edge tools they need to safely and effectively achieve their mission. FirstNet will help first responders in Los Angeles and across the country perform at the highest levels to keep themselves and those they serve out of harm’s way.”
“FirstNet, Built with AT&T is the exclusive communications platform, built with and for public safety, inspired by public safety. There is no substitution for this purpose-built network,” said Lisa Casias, Acting CEO with the First Responder Network Authority. “We look forward to supporting LAPD and all of California’s public safety community with FirstNet, making sure it delivers what they need, when they need it.”